It’s no secret that care homes are struggling to make ends meet these days. The average occupancy rate of a care home has dropped to less than 90% in recent years, which makes it hard for owners to keep the doors open. But there is hope! By following these simple steps, you can increase your occupancy rate by as many as 5-10% over the course of a year.
Make sure your website is relevant
As a care home operator, you understand that your website has a critical role to play in attracting new residents. People who are looking for care homes often start by googling “care homes near me” or similar search terms, so it’s imperative that your website is relevant and up-to-date.
You’ll also need to make sure your website is Search Engine Optimised (SEO). This basically means the content on your website is set up to allow search engines to connect you with potential customers. When an enquirer is looking for a care home in your area you want your home to appear first in the search results.
It’s also important to keep posting new content on your website. Search engines like Google and Bing give priority to websites that are regularly updated. If your site hasn’t had any updates recently, the content is automatically considered outdated and irrelevant.
Using Social Media
Social media is one of the best ways to share information with people. It has a large reach, and it’s a great way to connect with people who you wouldn’t otherwise be able to reach.
You can also use social media content to keep your website information current and up to date, which supports your search engine optimisation.
- Testimonials are a great way to encourage others to choose your services. You can use testimonials from happy customers, families of residents, staff members and other care homes.
- Local authorities or charities who have worked with you in the past could be a good source of testimonials too.
- If you have a resident who has been particularly happy with the services provided by your care home, ask them for their opinion on what went well and how they would improve things if given the chance.
- Making testimonial videos to display on your website and social media pages is also a great way to attract residents and increase care home occupancy.
Answer the questions
When people are searching for a Care Home they often have lots of questions that help them make their decision. Here are a few things to consider when creating your website content is:
- What do residents enjoy about your care home?
- How many staff do you have, and what are their qualifications and experiences?
- How long have you been providing care?
- What activities do you have and how do residents socialise with each other?
- Explain how Family visits work – what time of day can people visit and for how long?
- Do you have easy access parking – let them know?
When it comes to marketing your care home and increasing your occupancy, it makes sense to get some specialist help. Candykite has been working with care homes to increase their occupancy for several years, and we’re happy to help you care providers develop their digital window – reaching the residents you need to fill your home.
Reach out to our team – we’d love to hear from you.